The largest donation ever given to a major symphony orchestra was given by the Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel Foundation
The Cleveland Orchestra has received an enormous donation of $50 million - the largest gift in the orchestra’s 103-year history.
The grant was made by the Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel Foundation, which makes philanthropic contributions for charitable, religious and educational purposes. It is the largest donation ever made by the foundation since its inception in 1953.
The grant will bolster the orchestra’s financial foundation while providing funds for new digital upgrades to the concert hall, an opera and humanities festival and an expansion of the orchestra’s programs and partnerships.
Franz Welser-Möst, music director of the orchestra, said, ’As the orchestra prepares to embark on its 104th season, we are moved and inspired by this remarkable recognition of our work. The musicians and audiences will feel the benefits of the Mandel Foundation’s gift almost immediately, starting with the upgrades to the building which will allow us to continue capturing video for our digital offerings.’
In recognition of this historic gift, the orchestra’s main performance space will be named the Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel Concert Hall. The name of the orchestra’s building will change from Severance Hall to Severance Music Center, continuing to honour the legacy of foundational philanthropist John L. Severance.
Read: New York’s Avery Fisher Hall to be renamed David Geffen Hall following $100m donation
Read: Lifeline grants from government’s £1.57bn Culture Recovery Fund announced
Read: Opinion: Defining relevance
No comments yet