Ten violinists aged 14 to 18 compete for the Thomas & Evon Cooper International Competition’s $20,000 top prize
Ten young violinists have proceeded to today’s (23 July) concerto round of the Thomas & Evon Cooper International Competition at Oberlin College, Ohio, starting at 1.30pm EDT.
Following this, six candidates will be chosen to progress to the recital finals on 24 July, leading to a concerto final on Friday 26 July in which three remaining violinists will compete for a top prize of $20,000, performing with the Cleveland Orchestra at Severance Hall.
The ten remaining competitors, their time slot and concerto choice are:
- 1:30 Yixuan Jiang, 14, China | N. PAGANINI Concerto No. 1 in D Major, Op. 6
- 2:05 Jin Yucheng, 17, China | P. TCHAIKOVSKY Concerto in D Major, Op. 35
- 2:40 Shihan Wang, 14, China | F. MENDELSSOHN Concerto in E Minor, Op. 64
- 3:30 Alexandra Woroniecka, 17, USA | A. DVOŘÁK Concerto in A Minor, Op. 53
- 4:05 Eric Charles Chen, 18, USA | S. PROKOFIEV Concerto No. 2 in G Minor, Op. 63
- 4:40 Isabella Brown, 16, USA | A. DVOŘÁK Concerto in A minor, Op. 53
- 7:00 Joanne Lin, 16, Taiwan | A. DVOŘÁK Concerto in A Minor, Op. 53
- 7:35 Claire Arias-Kim, 17, USA | A. DVOŘÁK Concerto in A Minor, Op. 53
- 8:25 Enrique Rodrigues, 17, USA/Canada | M. BRUCH Concerto No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 26
- 9:00 Yiyang Hou, 14, China | J. SIBELIUS Concerto in D Minor, Op. 47
The Cooper International Competition, presented jointly by the Oberlin Conservatory of Music and the Cleveland Orchestra, began life as the Oberlin International Festival in 1985 and after a brief hiatus returned in 2010 sponsored by Thomas and Evon Cooper.
It has recently doubled its prize pot to $40,000, of which $20,000 goes to the winner, $10,000 to second place and $5,000 to third, with $1,500 each for fourth to sixth positions, plus a $500 audience prize.
The jury, chaired by former Oberlin professor Gregory Fulkerson, comprises: Sibbi Bernhardsson, Radu Blidar, Yi Huang, Marilyn McDonald, Naoko Tanaka and Almita Vamos.
The competition will be streamed live here