According to the chart, six US concertmasters earn more than half a millon dollars
This table, compiled from the 2016/17 season by Drew McManus on the Adaptistration website, reveals the top ten US concertmaster earnings, with six concertmasters earning more than half a million dollars.
- New York Philharmonic: $622,421
- San Francisco Symphony: $589,272
- Cleveland Orchestra: $579,030
- Chicago Symphony: $554,756
- Los Angeles Philharmonic: $539,739
- Boston Symphony: $532,036
- Philadelphia Orchestra: $438,253
- National Symphony: $401,800
- Saint Louis Symphony: $304,818
- Cincinnati Symphony: $293,423
According to McManus, the 2016/17 season continued to see positive gain in the average concertmaster’s compensation level. Nonetheless, overall growth over the last decade continues to be far below their music director and executive peers.