- Playing & Teaching
- Issue archive
- More navigation items
John Dilworth examines an instrument by the French maker
Nicolas Lupot was the son of François, a violin maker in Stuttgart. The family moved to Orléans when Nicolas was about ten years old, and his earliest work is branded ‘Lupot, Orléans’. In around 1794 he began supplying instruments to François-Louis Pique in Paris. Pique was the leading French maker at the time, but after Lupot began to work in Paris himself in 1794, he succeeded to that reputation before Pique’s retirement in 1816. At his shop at 24 rue de Gramont, established in 1798, his brother François Lupot was employed to make bows, and in 1802 Nicolas took on Charles François Gand as an apprentice. He was later joined by Auguste Bernardel, and the two went on to form the Gand & Bernardel company that subsequently became another of the great Parisian ateliers of the period…
This article is usually available exclusively to subscribers.
For a limited period, you can enjoy all the benefits of an online subscription free for 7 days. Sign up now to read this article in full and to enjoy unlimited access to all premium online content, a digital edition of the latest issue, plus an online archive of more than 100+ back issues.