A new exhibition in the German town of Füssen celebrates the
history of violin making in Cremona.
The instrument exhibition at the Füssen Heritage Museum includes five historical violins: one of the instruments made by Andrea Amati for King Charles IX of France in c.1566, a violin by Francesco Rugeri, Stradivari's c.1730 'Vesuvius', the 'Stauffer' Guarneri 'del Gesù' of 1734, and a violin by Enrico Ceruti.
Also on display are five contemporary instruments – two violins, a viola, a cello and a double bass – all of which won prizes at the Cremona Triennale violin making competition between 1976 and 2009.
The exhibition, which runs from 21 July to 9 September, marks 450 years since the first European lute makers' guild was established in Füssen. The town developed into an important centre for German violin making, and in the 18th century was home to some 80 violin makers.
- Playing & Teaching
- Issue archive
- More navigation items