This illustration of a Tomaso Carcassi violin was published in The Strad, March 1953. The following text is extracted from the article accompanying the photographs:
The joint productions of the brothers Lorenzo and Tomaso Carcassi are among the best-known eighteenth century instruments of the Florentine school. These two makers may occasionally have made violins on their own during the time they worked together, but as so many are unlabelled, it is difficult to ascertain this point.
Both the brothers followed a modified Amati pattern, and the majority of their violins are rather highly arched. The best work by the Carcassi is well finished and of carefully selected wood.
The illustrated instrument was made in the opinion of Messrs. William E. Hill and Sons, during the early years of Tomaso’s career. The dimensions are: Length of Body, 13 15/16 inches; Upper Bouts, 6 ½ inches (full); Middle Bouts, 4 ¼ inches; Lower Bouts, 7 15/16 inches; Ribs, 1 1/8 inches.
The two-piece back is of native wood of small figure and the pine of the table is of open grain. The varnish is a rich transparent orange-brown in colour.