In focus: A violin by Giuseppe Guarneri ‘filius Andreae’ c. 1710
Gennady Filimonov explores Giuseppe Guarneri’s c.1710 violin
Giovanni Battista Giuseppe Guarneri, commonly known as ‘filius Andreae’, learnt from and worked with his father Andrea for nearly 20 years, inheriting the family business on his father’s death in 1698. He continued to work there with his two sons, Pietro Guarneri (‘of Venice’) and Bartolomeo Giuseppe (‘del Gesù’), both of whom were considered the most gifted makers of their day. In 1717 Pietro moved to Venice, whereas ‘del Gesù’ stayed behind, inheriting his father’s shop (and its debts). Each member of the Guarneri family proved to be a maker of strong personal conviction and vision in his production.Most experts consider the period up to 1720 to be the period when ‘filius Andreae’ made his best instruments. Many of them, such as the example shown here, bear the distinctive handiwork of his son, Guarneri ‘del Gesù’.