A matchstick violin was heard for the first time in Poland in January 2014. The instrument was constructed by Polish bricklayer Jan GwiŠ¼dŠ¼ in 1937 from 16,000 burnt matchsticks, accumulated over a period of eight years.

Initially generating some interest and going on display in the Eiffel Tower in Paris, the violin eventually returned to its homeland. Here Jan’s grandson, Hubert GwiŠ¼dŠ¼, performed on the instrument with the Silesian Chamber Orchestra.

Subscribe to The Strad or download our digital edition as part of a 30-day free trial. To purchase single issues click here.